Sunday, July 4, 2010

Read this: Jason Sheehan

There are food writers that tell you what food tastes like. This is a losing game, in my mind, as food does not really lend itself to text. Read: crazy wine terminology.

So a lot of food writers turn to pretension, demonstrating their writing skills rather than talking about anything in particular.

Jason Sheehan, of the Seattle Weekly, goes so far into pretension he comes out the other side, into actual non-fiction literary essays that create a world of food and cooks and efficient waiters that is so magical I wish I lived in the world this man does. It's not that I can't visit the restaurants: I have, they are invariably good. But I don't possess the mantle of his experience, the weighty life of a career cook, or the cultured taste of a gourmand with a knowledge bordering on comprehensive.

To be honest, I wouldn't even care if he was talking about real places. Just to hear a man talk about something with such obvious and well-considered pleasure it an experience made of satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment